Thursday, June 24, 2010

Summertime, and the living is...

OK, first an update on Dave, Adrian, Bud, and the missing Lumina.  Dave says he is going to pay for it.  He thinks Adrian might have it.  We are holding our collective breath...


I started to write about how hectic my next two weeks are going to be and how unhappy that made me, but then I decided to slap myself.  I really need an attitude adjustment.  OK, so my idea of a perfect life is to live alone in a house with a big porch on a beach without hurricanes or mosquitoes with books, writing equipment, and regular conjugal visits from my husband.  OK, he can live with me.  People would visit often enough, but in a really really informal way.  I'd have beer, basil lemonade, and cookies for them.  They'd go home (although they could sleep over if they needed to.)  And money is no object.  I don't need a lot.  Just enough so I don't have to worry about it unless I want to buy a $500 cotton t-shirt.  And that won't happen.


So... my real life.  I missed work yesterday to take care of my grandchildren because my son & daughter in law needed help.  I had a great time with them, although the fantasy about cleaning my house while watching them was ... a fantasy.  I did get a teeny bit done.  But mostly I played.


Today I am at work, trying to catch up with what I didn't do yesterday and can't do next week because we are going to Charleston, SC for a tax workshop/conference.  (This is when I start the slapping.)  Bob, Mark, and I are staying at a really nice hotel right across from the Market, within walking distance of the finest restaurants, shopping, and historical sights in SC.  Bob and Mark may go to the beach one day while I learn how to help people who are going through bankruptcy and other fun things.  Sunday & Monday nights are paid for by my boss.  Tuesday, we are paying, so I can have a little bit of a real vacation and visit family on Tuesday evening and Wednesday.  Obviously, I am an ungrateful wretch if I don't see what a cool thing this is.  (And I LIKE learning about tax stuff.)


Again, I'm a wretch because I'm feeling pressed about family obligations this weekend before we go to Charleston.  A family wedding on Friday and the second quarter birthday party at my in-laws on Saturday.  The wedding will be nice, even though it keeps me from my usual suspects happy hour and that puts me out.  The second quarter birthday party will be as good as I make it.  And I don't want to talk about that right now.


Next week, we'll miss the regular happy hour again for another family gathering with the in-laws.  We're meeting at Little Pig's Barbecue, which is a really good place to eat as long as you like pork.  They have three kinds of barbecue --- mustard based (my choice), ketchup based (yuck), and vinegar based (ok).  They have all of the normal sides --- slaw, green beans, mac & cheese casserole, banana pudding, rice and more.  It's a great place and I'd be really happy to go there if I weren't missing happy hour.  

On July 3, I think we are going to my boss' house for more barbecue as well as swimming and horseshoes.  On July 4, we'll have a picnic at church, then go to my brother's for swimming, burgers, and brats.  The sausage, not my children.  I think we have July 5th off.  I know I'll need it.

And so you see what a whiner I am.  This looks like a great couple of weeks, doesn't it?  It will be as fun as I make it, I guess.  OK, well, off to have fun, even if it kills me...

1 comment:

Kim said...

I'm tired just reading it. It sounds like it could be a lot of fun (minus the tax classes of course). Wishing you energy and enough downtime inbetween events to enjoy!