Monday, October 29, 2007

How's the Weather?

When I was younger, I remember hearing that small talk was shallow and the perfect example of small talk was talking about the weather.

I'm not sure who I was listening to. I grew up in South Carolina where small talk is an art form and far from shallow. It is an essential element to civilization. It isn't an impediment to business transactions, it is part of the process. At least, here in South Carolina, and in some form or other, most of the world.

But that's not what I want to talk about. I want to talk about the weather.

Soon after I remember hearing that talking about the weather was shallow, I remember thinking, what about hurricanes? We need to know when a hurricane is coming so we can prepare. Hurricanes are an important part of our lives.

And rain. We always have too little or too much rain. The farmers talk about rain and frosts and droughts an awful lot. It's an important part of their lives. And even though I have never lived on a farm, it is a part of my life too. How much will peaches cost, if I can get any? Do I need to water my herb garden or bring in my plants?

I don't know why weather is important here. We are no closer to the farms than most other places. Maybe I should ask why isn't the weather important everywhere? Are there places where they have forgotten where food comes from? Are there people who don't pray for rain? Maybe that is why we are struggling with water shortages in places that used to have lots and lots of water. Maybe that's why a healthy environment is a debatable issue.

Or maybe I'm just shallow.

No comments: