Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Is it fall yet?

Since the calendar says October 2, I officially declare it to me fall. I know, September 23 was the official day, but in SC that is considered a quaint idea, at best. Usually it just makes us cry, although you can't tell, because we are sweating too hard.

But here it is October 2 and it's about 87 degrees outside. The leaves are turning brown, but that is because of the drought. There is a breeze that feels cool and refreshing. And so, I declare fall.

I brought out my sweaters, although I haven't actually worn them. I made a huge pot of vegetable soup, with fresh carrots, potatoes, green beans, and corn. A nice mix of summer and fall veggies. That is something to be grateful for, isn't it?

Our windows are open, which (I hope) means the electric bill will be below $200 this month. Maybe I'll use the extra money to buy bushes and trees to plant. Another thing to be grateful for are mild winters that allow us year round gardening. Well, I think that's a good thing. Don't ask my loving husband.

Well, that's two. Maybe I should stop whining and go enjoy the weather. I can walk around the neighborhood, dig in my yard, lie in the underused hammock. That is three. Who can be ungrateful in a hammock?

No comments: