Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Late meme

From Mimi, the queen:
1. Are you always on time or just a tad late?
2. Is there someone in your life that irritates you regularly about not being on time?
3. Can you think of a time when you were late for something and it was REALLY a big deal?
4. Do prompt perky people irritate you? (oh, that was a Freudian blog slip)
5. If you were on your way to work and had five minutes to get there, would you stop in the road to rescue a crossing turtle?
6. Have you ever had to actually punch a time clock?
7. What is your standard "excuse" when you are tardy?
 1.  I am usually early or late.  I can't seem to get "on-time."  Usually, I'm early, because I get nervous, and I like to have time to get settled.  I carry a book, and so the waiting for others time is a gift I give myself.  It seems that if I'm late, everyone else is on time, but if I'm early, everyone else is late.  Kathy Time Karma, I think.

2.  My son and daughter-in-law have three small children.  I know how hard it is for them to be on time, I used to have to make that kind of troop movement.  But maybe because I really don't remember how hard it is, or maybe because I'm a grumpy old woman, I often feel they are later than they have to be.  Start earlier!  I say.  But that is easier for me than for them.  And so, I tell them to be ready an hour before the real time, in the hopes they will be only 30 minutes late. 
     There are other people with fewer excuses who are always late.  With some of them, I think it is a time anorexia --- they can't control other things in their lives so they control their time.  And they are always late.  If I like them enough, I breath deeply and carry a bigger book.  If I don't like them enough, I leave.  No kidding.

3.   Big deal for others, not me.  As I said, we are almost always early, and we almost always wait.  And so, one Thanksgiving (or Christmas or one of those horrible days you have to spend with other people), we were late for dinner at my in-laws.  My in-laws are NEVER ready when they say they will be.  My brother & sisters-in-law are ALWAYS late, leaving us to sit and wait.  And I can't even read my book.  Well, this time, damned if they weren't on time.  And damned if they didn't sit down and start eating without us.  This pissed me off, because I've spent a boatload of time watching tennis and waiting for them.  But this is family, and so I breathed deeply, refused to apologize and ate dinner.  

4. Prompt perky people?  Well, that's not me.  I'm not perky.  I don't perk.  Prompt people only irritate me when I was really planning on finishing a chapter or two of a book.  Other than that, not a problem.  Perky people sometimes give me a headache.

5.  I've stopped to help a large turtle in the road.  I've picked up a couple of dogs.  I probably would stop for a turtle, unless I thought the morons on the road would as soon kill me as the turtle.  Then I'd just swerve and go on.

6.  I worked at Wendy's for a week, and I punched a time clock then.  I'd repressed forgotten that.

7.  I usually say that Bob and I had sex and it took longer than we'd expected.  I usually only have to say that once.

Wasn't that fun?  Now I'm late for work...

1 comment:

Kim said...

I just love your humor. I'm always early. Someone once told my husband to be that I was 15 minutes early for everything so if he was on time he was already late. I enjoy being early instead of rushed. And I don't mind people being on time. I hate late comers. Some have a really good excuse and like you I just breath deep others I don't wait for.