Friday, May 1, 2009

BFF

Blog Farts – noun.

Def: Crappy ideas that are too short to make a real
blog post, but when combined, join forces to make one unified, albeit half
assed, post. see also: memes, surveys.

Swine flu, bird flu... why can't they have tofu flu?

I have Hypochondria by Proxy, which means that when I hear about diseases I am sure my children, grandchildren, nieces, etc have it. A sneeze is pneumonia. A cough is tuberculosis. A headache is a brain tumor. So you can imagine, I'm in a tizzy with swine flu. It doesn't help that my son and daughter-in-law are on a cruise to the Bahamas, where they will, no doubt, get some dread disease or fall overboard, or both. Did Brendon just cough?

*****************************

Dress codes are great, in that I don't think you should wear a bathing suit to school, but should they be the focal point of your school? I'm being unfair, of course. Mark & I have been looking at the school district's regular public schools in case Carolina School for Inquiry isn't allowed to open a 6th grade. There were several things that disturbed me, including the "majors" for middle school students, but Mark was OK until.... "shirts will be tucked in at all times."

What does that mean? he asked.

You know, shirt tail in pants.

Even if we aren't at a wedding or funeral?!

Uh.. yeah.

What do they do if your shirt comes untucked?

I assume they suspend you for disturbing the learning environment and send you home to play video games and watch the Disney channel.

SWEET!

One time I read "writing standards" written by a lovely person who was an English teacher. The purpose was to set guidelines to improve student writing. The first two "standards" were: use blue or black ink & only write on the front of the paper.

::sigh::

Is it wrong to pray for CSI to get a 6th grade?

*************************************

I have my grandsons Gabe (18 mos) & Brendon (7 mos) with me this week... until Tuesday. There are lots of good things about that. Losing sleep is not one of them. Fortunately, I have my dear hubby Bob and my darling sons Joseph & Mark to help. In fact, Joseph is sort of in charge. When I got home from work on Wednesday, Joseph met me at the door, baby on hip.

How was your day? I'm going to take a nap, he said, handing me the baby.

The next day he found a babysitter and worked an electrical job with Robert's boss. Nothing like a day home with two kids under two to make you think work is fun.

******************************************************

Speaking of which, a lot of bloggers I read (OK one or two) are struggling with the SAHM/go to the office dilemma. I understand completely. My youngest is 10, and I still want to stay at home. In fact, it's better now, because there aren't so many kids.

At least MOST people aren't engaging in Mommy Wars any more. It's a choice for some and that cool. It's not a choice for others, and that's sad, but so is life.

Since it's Not Tax Season, I'm in the pretty good in between world --- part time work that I like. We have to be careful with money, but that's OK. I can volunteer at the school, blog, take on a side job, write a novel, whatever. I may even clean the house.

OK, well time to check out other blogs clean the house. Peas!


5 comments:

Unknown said...

you are so funny!!! enjoy your grandsons and have a wonderful weekend!

Martha@A Sense of Humor is Essential said...

Keeping my fingers crossed for the Inquiry School to offer 6th grade. I hope you have a great weekend. Great post, thanks for the funny.

Brindi said...

I know about the swine flu. I'm not a worrier, but my son is home with 103 temperature, coughing, sneezing, and irritability which they state is a symptom in children (aren't all kids irritable when they are sick?)

Christie said...

i had a patient yesterday that didn't cover her mouth when she coughed and i thought, if i get swine flu from you... lol

yeah, the pt's husband was a dr.

The Wrenns said...

Two kids under 2 staying under 1 roof...what a whirlwind!