Saturday, April 24, 2010

What else do you do on a rainy day?

I woke with an urge to go tromping through the Congaree National Swamp, but it's raining.  A real frog-strangling soaking rain that may even clean the pollen out of the air.  Or not.  And even though Bob says it's not raining that hard (he is upstairs in bed and doesn't know), I'm not going out today.


Today, I am going to clean something.  I just can't decide what.  The kitchen?  That would be good.  I need to sort through my cupboards and clean out the fridge so I know what I have and what I need for the next week.  I want to try out the chicken salad & pita recipe I found at Cinnamon & Spice.  I need to make rainbow slaw for my Dad's birthday cook-out tomorrow.  A clean kitchen would help.  And a good thing about cleaning the kitchen is that you can see the results.  It smells better.  People say, "Wow, good work Mom/Kathy/lady."

I also need to clean the closets so I have places to put the things I plan to keep after my house purge.  Starting today or tomorrow, I am sorting, trashing, giving away all of this crap in my house.  I have too much stuff.  Too much that I might use someday to make 10,000 crocheted blankets.  Too much stuff I might use when I re-pot 4,000 African Violets.  Too much stuff that could outfit a dozen kitchens and a couple of apartments. 

Since Joseph is making moving out noises, I want to box some of this up for him.  I also need to box up stuff Robert & Katy will need when they are able to move into their own house or apartment and out of her mother's house.  I'm not really sure what to do with the furniture, since it's hard to store extra couches and king-sized beds, but I'm going to do something. 

A lot of this is going to Goodwill.  I still sort of kind of not really want to have a yard sale, but I know I will be miserable, make very little money, and end up taking it to Goodwill and Habitat for Humanity any way.

I'm not really sure where to start, but I figure I'll quit thinking about it and just do it.  Tomorrow.

2 comments:

Martha@A Sense of Humor is Essential said...

I am right there w/you about cleaning out closets, just do one drawer or shelf for 15 minutes and see how it goes.
I get overwhelmed easily so this is helpful for this adult w/ADD!
Best to you and the family.

Kim said...

Set a timer for 15 minutes and go at it. Do this every day and eventually something is clean. It helps me when I'm in a rut.