Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Daylight Savings Time: Keeping the crops from burning up in the field

Back in the 70s, I think, when the US Congress was discussing having Daylight Savings Time all year round, my Congressman, Floyd Spence, got up and said that if we did that, all that extra sunlight would make the crops burn up in the field.  I am not making this up.

Over the years, DLS time has become like the weather: everyone complains about it but no one does anything about it.  As I sit here, in the dark at what should be 6:15 am but is 7:15 am, I am once again wishing they'd just decide.  Either way.  I don't care. 

I wake up before dawn most days.  I have no problem sleeping in the daylight.  I live in SC so even in the dead of winter or center of summer, the days and nights are pretty close to the same length.  Extra light, extra dark: who cares when you can sun bathe on Christmas Day as often as not.

This October, like the one before it and the one before that, my oldest son complained about the dark.  Mom, why does it have to get so cold and dark?  Although flattered that at 25, he still thought I controlled the weather, I felt compelled to say, "I thought you were the smart one.  We call it 'Winter.'"  Of course, I was wrong this year.  It got darker, but not really colder.

This is what DLS does to people.  More heart attacks.  More arguments.  More rambling meaningless posts by sleep deprived bloggers.

Isn't it time to do something?  Let me know when you have a plan.

No comments: